Check your toilet for silent leaks
- Put a few drops of food coloring into the tank of your toilet.
- Wait 15 minutes without flushing
- If colored water appears in the bowl within 15 minutes, you have a leak.
- Make sure to flush the colored water as soon as the test is done. Food coloring can stain.
More ways to be water smart
- Check for dripping faucets,shower heads, and fixture connections.
- Check irrigation systems and outdoor spigots too.
- Use your water meter to check your whole house. Read your water meter before and after a two-hour period when no water is being used. If the meter changes at all, you probably have a leak.
- Some leaks can be fixed by tightening connections.
- To save more water without a noticeable difference in flow, twist on a WaterSense labeled faucet aerator.
- Look for WaterSense labeled models.
- These are independently tested and certified to use 20 percent less water and perform as well as or better than standard models.