While wastewater and water operators that we normally work with day to day are pretty familiar with what's going on, for cross connection services most of time we're working with businesses that may not be familiar with the process. Here are the most common questions that we answer when setting up cross connection inspections.
What’s a cross connection? A "cross connection" is any connection or arrangement, physical or otherwise, between a potable water supply system and any plumbing fixture, or tank, receptacle, equipment, or device.
What is a cross connection inspection? An inspection to ensure that cross connections are not occurring in a building's plumbing system.
Who has to have cross connection inspections done? Every building that is connected to a municipal water supply is required to have inspections performed.
Is a cross connection inspection invasive? No. Generally a cross connection inspection can be completed without any disruption to normal business activities and processes.
Why are cross connection inspections required? The inspections look for areas where it may be possible for nonpotable, used, unclean, polluted, or contaminated water or other substance to enter any part of such potable water system under any condition.
How often is it required? Cross connection inspections are determined by your municipality, and typically required either every 2 years or every 10 years.
Who can perform these inspections and tests? Only those who have received specialized training and certification through the state.
Why should I have B&M Technical Services perform these tests and inspections?
- Multiple trained and certified technicians on staff.
- Special cross connection inspection and back flow preventer testing pricing.
- Highly experienced in water system mechanical equipment, including backflow preventer devices troubleshooting, rebuilds, and replacements.
We've recently been restructuring our cross connection inspections in order to offer a more streamlined and better program. If you're in charge of a program in your municipality, here's what you need to know:
- We are fully certified to do cross connection inspections and programs with the State of Wisconsin.
- We perform commercial and industrial inspections.
- We work with the water operator – they administer the program, we provide the inspection services.